11.12.2005

Armadillo...I mean Amarillo!

Greetings from the heart of the Texas panhandle! I am in Amarillo TX for the night, bedding down after having driven since about 6:30 this morning. My lovely father wakes very early. As I have already mistakenly called it armadillo twice, I have decided that blogging the trip might be a better use of my time...and less annoying to the natives! The highlights, as I am not that good at storytelling!

-Atlanta traffic isn't that horrible at 10:30 in the morning.
-Alabama is not fun. Scrubby does not equal love.
-Tupelo was uneventful.
-Corky's BBQ in Memphis beats SC BBQ into the ground! A good thing too as we spent an hour and half looking for the damn place!
-Brinkley AK is home to the newly non-extinct Ivory billed woodpecker. If that means something to you, enjoy. We slept there. Woohoo.
-Driving...driving...driving...
-Its migration time for all flying things in the middle of america. No really. I felt like I was in an Alfred Hitchcock film. Thanks Binford. ;)
-Atlus AK is the AK wine capitol. I know. You're raising your eyebrows at the wine capitol in the middle of the country, but the Wiederkehr Vineyard actually has some really good stuff. I should know, as my father and I, lushes that we are, visited as we were passing through at 9:45 this morning. And oh yes, we did a tasting.
-Bypassed Little Rock (thought of the chesterfly as we did).
-OK is pretty flat. Lots of oil rigs, wheat fields, and windmills. Yes, windmills. We passed through a forest of them right in the middle of OK. It is very unnerving to be surrounded by ~ 60 three-tined white behemoths that look like the parents of edward scissorhands.
-Driving...driving...driving...
-Still in OK- The "you'll never get out of here" state
-FINALLY, we hit TX. I swear I saw cowboys herding longhorns across the terrain. Ok, not really, but the ghosts are there. Its eerie.
-TX is home to the "largest cross in the western hemisphere." ... ... ... Of course it is. Pictures coming.
-Resting place for night two- Armad....Amarillo. I had a burrito for dinner that was out of this world and am now sitting in the lobby of my hotel watching honest to god cowboys walk through every few minutes. I'm the one that's out of place...you know, I'm missing the handlebar mustache. Just shaved it yesterday too...too bad.

Pictures to come. Love to all my friends. Miss you desperately!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sir Belt Buckle said...

Ok. You're making miss home now. And thanks for the shout out. I think I need to make a trip back there. Though, if I do, I may not want to leave the area. Think I may beef up my efforts to find something out there.

Drive safe, have fun. Oh, and I've seen the biggest cross in the US when my bro & I drove across once. Yea. Um. No comment.

11/13/2005 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home